Saturday, November 29, 2014

Sunspring - "Orange"

When you think about the Louisville hardcore punk scene of the early to mid 90s, bands such as Endpoint, Falling Forward, Metroschifter and Guilt are probably among the first ones that pop into your brain, and with good reason. The guitar player and vocalist of Metroschifter, Scott Ritcher, also played in Sunspring from 1991 to early 1995. Ritcher ran the seminal Louisville-based indie/punk/hardcore label Slamdek Record Company, which released records from loads of bands between the years of 1986 and 1995. "Orange", a posthumous release for Sunspring, was also the final offering from Slamdek. It was released on April 22, 1995.

To quote Ritcher from the excellent book Slamdek A to Z, "Orange is basically a compilation of two previous releases, 'The Sun Cassette' and 'Action Eleven', plus two songs recorded as Diet Sunspring, and two songs recorded at what is referred to as the Last Session". I first became familiar with Sunspring upon buying the aforementioned book when it was published in 1996. It came with a compilation cd that spanned the years of the labels existence, and had a couple of really good jams on it. Maybe I'll post it one day, maybe I won't. Anyway, the Sunspring song "Magnet" is one of said jams. Unfortunately, after repeated attempts in 1997 and 1998 to get into this release, I just couldn't. The music is interesting, artsy punk and has some good moments ("I Don't Like This Anymore", "Roadburn") but overall, not really my thang. I think it's the more-than-slightly off key and awkward vocals that stand out the most. But hey, YOU'RE not me, right? 25 Songs are included here, and don't expect me to type out the names of them below.




-here-

No comments:

Post a Comment